Tubetti rigati with chickpeas "Pasta e Ceci"
Ingredients for 4 persons
- 500 grams of tubetti rigati
- 400 grams of chickpeas
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 100 grams of guanciale or pancetta
- 2 bay leaves
- Soak the chickpeas in a container with cold water for 24 hours. Change the water two or three times.
- Cook the chickpeas with water in a pressure cooker for 60 minutes.
- Or cook the chickpeas in a saucepan filled with water for at least 100 minutes.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, brown in a large saucepan with a drizzle of olive oil, the red onion, the guanciale cut into small pieces, salt, pepper, 2 bay leaves and the turmeric for 5 minutes.
- After the chickpeas have been cooked for the first time in the pressure cooker or in a saucepan, pour the chickpeas into the large saucepan that contains the red onion, guanciale and spices.
- Fill the pot with water up to 1/4 over the chickpeas and let them simmer for 60 minutes or more until they become tender (the pulses always stay a little crunchy).
- Then add the pasta to the same saucepan as it should cook with the chickpeas. Add more salt and a little pepper.
- Cook the pasta for 10 minutes.
- As the pasta will absorb the cooking water, if necessary add HOT water because the preparation must remain a little liquid (see photo).
- As soon as the pasta is cooked add a drizzle of raw extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve and enjoy.
It is a very easy recipe but it takes time because the pulses are tough to cook but the patience is worth it because the taste result is exceptional.